Contrary to some beliefs, May is a wonderful time of year to visit Door County and to plan your vacation. Like anything in life, it depends on your personality and the reason for your getaway. Do you enjoy a slower pace or are you looking for that hustle and bustle? Do you enjoy nature or would you prefer to shop until you drop?
While it is true that not everything is open at the beginning of May, there are more than enough businesses that actually stay open year-round in Door County, even in northern Door. But by mid-May almost every store, restaurant, and specialty shop is back open and waiting to serve their guests. We’ve put together a list of the events and activities that we believe make May one of the greatest times to plan your Door County vacation.
1) The road less traveled. Door County’s peak season starts in mid-June so if you enjoy bike riding, May is the time to get here. The weather is warming up and spring blossoms are popping with color to brighten up what was once the winter browns. With less cars on the roads, bike riding is enjoyable and safer.
2) The nature preserves are coming to life with spring babies, bulbs, and all of nature’s goodness. Just a quick walk up the road from the Ephraim Guest House is the Preserve at Anderson Pond. With it’s trails and the pond full from the winter melt down the Preserve is a nature lovers paradise.
3) The Door County Half Marathon & Nicolet Bay 5K take place this year on May 2nd. The Ephraim Guest House is located about 2 miles from the park entrance to get to the starting and finish line.
4) Door County Wine Trail Weekend takes place on May 15th through the 17th and offers tours of Door County Wineries. This weekend also hosts the Spring Fling Festival and Lighthouse Tours throughout Baileys Harbor. For more information, visit the website: Door County Wine Trail.
5) Spring Art Crawl in Ellison Bay is also happening the weekend of May 16th and 17th. See the Ellison Bay Arts website for more details: Ellison Bay Arts.
6) Door County Festival of Nature at the Ridges Sanctuary in Baileys Harbor, May 21st through the 24th. The Festival of Nature has over 50 Guided field trips through unique and beautiful natural areas, classes and activities. See their website for more information: Ridges Sanctuary.
7) Sister Bay’s Field & Street Rally at the Shopko parking lot in Sister Bay will be held on Sunday, May 24th.
8) And last but certainly not least, at the Guest House Condominiums we have a wonderful savings plan to help you get away, save, play and have some fun with our May special.